WELCOME TO WHITEHEAD RAILWAY MUSEUM
Our fascinating five gallery museum allows you to rub shoulders with the giants of steam. You can step on the footplate of a 140 year old engine, get on board a 1950s carriage from the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland’s collection and see our restoration workshops, where these historic vehicles are brought back to life.
You can explore the museum at your leisure, aided along the way by our wonderful guides who will be on hand to help with any questions. They have a rich knowledge of Irish railway heritage - some have been part of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland for over 50 years!
AUDIO TOUR GUIDE
Bring along your own headphones and smart phone and you can enjoy our brilliant audio tour.
Download Audio Tour
Our Museum map will help guide you to all the points of interest.
We have been awarded the ‘Good to Go’ industry standard mark, certifying that we are adhering to the respective Government and public health guidance, have carried out a COVID-19 risk assessment and have the required processes in place.
Museum Reopening - Your Questions Answered
The comfort and wellbeing of our volunteers and visitors is of utmost importance to us and so we have introduced a number of new measures.
Measures We Have Undertaken
- To help us maintain social distancing measures we are asking all visitors to book online in advance.
- We have enhanced our cleaning regimes on site, with touch points in each gallery being wiped down regularly.
- Hand Sanitiser Stations are provided for you to use throughout the site.
- We will be asking our guests to maintain social distancing whilst using our facilities.
- Toilets are available on site, but only 1 household or bubble at a time will be permitted to use.
- Some areas may be restricted, due to social distancing regulations.
- We are using Perspex screens to protect visitors, staff and volunteers.
- We are providing clear and frequent visitor information signage and floor markings on site.
- If you are feeling unwell or experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 we would ask you and members of your party or family group to not attend the railway museum.
- Please respect social distancing measures whilst on site. We are a largely open-air museum, with a great deal of space so as to allow for 1-2m distance between visitors.
- You are not required to wear a face covering, but this is advised. All of our staff and volunteers will be wearing appropriate PPE. Face Masks will be available for purchase in our tearoom.
- Please refrain from touching your face.
- Wash your hands often and use the hand sanitisation stations available as much as possible.
Food and Drink
Our beautiful Platform 3 cafe is back for business as well. Step back to a bygone era in our quaint cafe, enjoying a warm cuppa by the fire or a cool drink under our outside canopy if the sun is shining.
Please note we have restricted numbers of visitors, in order to allow for appropriate social distancing.
While contactless payment is advised, we also accept cash payments in GBP Sterling.
We have public toilets available throughout the site. We ask that you please follow the guidance we have put in place for everyone’s safety when using our toilets.
The Museum is fully accessible. We want to make sure everyone who visits us feels welcome. If you need any extra help on your tour please don’t hesitate to contact one of our guides.
|The Museum is fully accessible by the mobility impaired.
We want to make sure everyone who visits us feels welcome. If you need any extra help on your tour please don’t hesitate to contact one of our guides.
Promotional video of the Museum